Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Setting the sills

From Friday to Monday I roughed out all the sill timbers and did the mortise and tenon joints for the two front corners of the building. The rear corners have at least three anchor bolts per timber, so we just did a butt joint there.  The long wall I made two lap joints that sit over the anchor bolts. 

The finished corner mortise and tenon with the tools to make the mortise - an antique boring machine, my framing chisel, and my mallet.

The 32' beam for the long wall - with a corner mortise and tenon, and two laps joining the three timbers. 

 My layout tools for the joinery work.

 Saws - the left is a friend's beam cutter, then my 10 1/4 inch circular saw and a 7 1/4" 18V cordless circular saw. The cordless is a great upgrade to my 30+ year old Craftsman corded saw - way more power, more accurate and lighter weight with the brushless motor and magnesium base.

Tuesday we set all the sills in about 4 hours, including drilling holes for all the conduit and anchor bolts.

No comments:

Post a Comment